It’s all too easy to get so caught up in the hustle and bustle, and the chase for wins, that you forget to take a moment to slow down and “whooosaaahhh.” Dedication and determination often lead to success, but overdoing it can lead to a not-so-fun condition known as ‘burn out.’
In the public relations, search engine marketing and social media industry, everything moves at the speed of light. So, we knock back our triple espresso in the morning, turn on the “Pretty Lights” station on Pandora, and whip our way through each day… But where’s the balance?
PRNews recently shared the following “5 Steps for Finding a Balance in PR Work and Life.” You remember ‘life,’ don’t you?
On the days that you’ve forgotten your right to have a life, come visit us here for these five steps, and we’ll remind you that balance is also one of the core keys to success!
- Think Before you Hit Send
- Respect each other’s time, and if a client or colleague is on vacation or out of the office, think twice before sending that note through. Ask yourself, “How urgent is this question about online brand visibility, really?”
- Be Accessible, But Respect Office Hours
- Improve your odds of preserving nights and weekends by setting some general guidelines. If you can’t follow the traditional 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. availability window, at least aim for a 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. window which gives you and your team a “much needed reprieve after each day’s work.”
- When You’re Gone, You’re Gone
- “Vacation isn’t just for the person who is out of the office, it’s for everyone left in the office, too.” This time presents opportunities for junior integrated marketing agency staff members to rise up, and for mutual appreciation and recognition to develop throughout the team.
- Put the Phone Down
- It’s called unplugging! In today’s day and age, being unplugged is almost a totally forgotten concept. Technology allowing such easy access no matter your location is a blessing and a downfall. “Even a 10-minute break from technology a few times a day is a good thing for balance.” Try it on for size!
- Remember the Bigger Picture
- Life is not only about what you do, it’s also largely about who you are. When that overwhelming feeling sets in, take a deep breath and think of all of the things in your life that drive you and keep you grounded. Remembering the bigger picture is a constant source for refreshment and inspiration… Don’t lose perspective, and balance is all yours!
Do you think PRNews missed a great work-life balance step on the above list? Tell us what you would add, and how you manage to keep true balance in your world by leaving a comment, below!
Cheers to balance!
By Alecia Shaver. As the Senior SEM/SEO Account Executive at lotus823, Alecia manages the agency’s integrated marketing and SEM/SEO initiatives for a variety of lifestyle, luxury and consumer electronic clients. Alecia helps clients achieve their goals by blending creativity and hard work, providing support through optimized content creation, blog management, website SEO, social media optimization (SMO), and development of creative marketing and giveaway strategies. Out of the office, you can find Alecia masterminding crazy recipes in the kitchen, laughing hysterically with family and friends, and snuggling her two pups, Ginger and Freddy, while curled up with a good book. Follow Alecia on Twitter at @lotus823_Alecia. Read other posts by Alecia Shaver.